Thursday, July 14, 2011

Thomas Pynchon - The Crying of Lot 49 II

"Don't.Bother. The style was so ridiculously blokey that I gave up after a couple of chapters."


"absolutely not my cup of humor."


"Too many poems/songs for no good reason."


"I’ve heard all the talk about what a literary genius Pynchon is and how his works are pithy and wonderful and all of that. Everyone seems to think so, though I haven’t spoken to someone who has read one of his books to completion who feels this way. In fact, I haven’t ever spoken to someone who has finished one of his books at all. Interesting."


"If a word he chooses has more than one definition, my immediate reading is never of the meaning he intended, and I'd read a sentence over four times before I'd understand"


"This is from my favorite unbelievable narrator genre"


"You know what? Just because you're a mysterious recluse doesn't necessarily mean you're a very good writer. Hey, Thomas, how about you spend more time visiting your editor..."


"As a novelist, a maker of novels, he's shockingly bad. Don't let society trick you into feeling down on yourself for not liking this terrible man."


"The writing of the title as the last words of the novel? Please. Why is that such a literary feat?
I guess the point of the novel was not to have a point. I'm sorry, but that is just taking the easy way out. At least put some effort into making me feel something and ask questions about myself. Oh, the book was trying to do that? It's making me wonder what it all means and what is the meaning of life? Hello! Who needs to read this book to ask those questions? Everyone asks themselves those questions naturally. There's nothing particularly briliant in that concept. Anyway, I'll stop now because I'm not by nature a cynical guy and all this negativity is killing me."


"I have never wanted to slap a character from fiction more than Oedipa, shake the bitch by the shoulders and scream at her to tell me what the fuck was going on."


"For those looking for enlightenment, or even just a rewarding or fun challenge, you'd surely prefer something more timeless and less self-obsessed. [~doomsdayer520~]"

1 comment:

  1. "I have never wanted to slap a character from fiction more than Oedipa, shake the bitch by the shoulders and scream at her to tell me what the fuck was going on."


    ... Hmmm, some unresolved issues it seems

    ReplyDelete