Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mark Twain - The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn II

"The only part I enjoyed was when they were helping the black man escape his cell. That part was hilarious"


"i can see the impact it had the the 1810's but i don't see it now."


"i read this book when I was teen and liked it,some times I have this dream to be instead of him."


"This book was confusing. The language was from the 1850s, how am I suppose to know what they are talking about if I’m from the 1990s? The book first started off with a notice that said 'Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot will be shot.' Now, if we are not learning anything while reading this book then why do people insist on us reading this? So that was a very confusing way to start off a book."


"It did not interest me, and furthermore the dialect was hard to read and understand. Sometimes I would even skip the entire part that I was not able to read, which made me confused afterward."


"This book is said to be the first book in American Literature ... After reading it, I say that statement is complete BOLOGNA!"


"In the end we are left with a mere cartoon character, with a mischievous smile and the formulaic catchphrase of 'they're trying to sivilize me.' Despite the cute misspelling, the static nature of Twain's main character is a serious, unforgivable flaw in his work."


"Personally I detest stories about a little boy's adventures ... I did not find a moment where the book was not both confusing and boring. Maybe its just me being a sixteen year old practical girl who cannot relate to the whims of a younger boy who has very little education and a strange sense of 'street smarts'."


"It was almost ghastly to get finish it. In fact, I didn't finish it, come to think of it."


"I FINALLY FINISHED THIS BOOK!!! I feel like I should have a party to celebrate. Yikes, I would not recommend this book, and I did not enjoy reading it."


"Another theme in the story is that society is wrong. As Huck travels down the river, he does many things that would be contrary to the beliefs of society such as helping the slave escape. He also learns black people are people too. The book is an irony because of this style."


"I'm sorry, but Jim talks too much in this book."


"before i read this book i was wondering what could i learn form it. after seeing some of the things huckleberry finn goes through with his father, i can see there is a lot to learn"


"Can you read a peice of writing that says things like 'We laid there all day, and watched the rafts' or '... found the camp - fire I built, and watched it all night...'. I mean come on how boring do that sound, your reading about it someone relax and not doing anything. Bordom causes lost of concentration. It's hard to read Huck Finn when your mind isn't into the story."


"this is the infamous book where i get my saying... hey chile =) i didn't know that chile' was meant to be the word child!"


"ive never liked mark twain except for a christmas carol"


"Think yourself reading THE ADVENTURES OF HUCKELBERRY FINN, and you had to choose whether you liked or hated it. What would you say? Liked it, hated it, or both? If it were up to me to choose, I would have to say both. I say that because first of all it was slow. That is because it went on forever to get a point across. Second of all, it was confusing to read. There were words added and misspelled. Lastly, it was happy. Huck's Aunt Sally was going to adopt him. Just get ready for me to explain my thought out reasoning.

First off, I didn't like this book because it was slow and dull to read. It doesn't have anything that captures my attention or that will keep you awake long enough to finish the book. It takes almost forever to get a point across. 'Is it Bill, or Tom, or Bob? -Or what is it?' 'I reckon I shock like a leaf, and I didn't know hardly what to do' (chapter 11). So, if it takes that long for an idea to get across, then it drags one mind away from the story.

Secondly, I didn't like this story because it was hard and confusing to understand. Some words were misspelled and placed in the wrong places and/or were just added. That can change the whole meaning around. If the author is trying to say one thing, then it will come out a different way because of the common error(s). 'You don't know about me without you have read a book by the name of THE ADVENTURES OF TOM SAWYER; but that ain't no matter' (chapter 1). It makes it hard for one to understand the story line and what the sentence is trying to really say. It just has to make sense."


"I never cared about what happened to Huck because to me he is very unrelatable and unlikable."


"All of the slang really defeats the whole 'bettering your independent reading vocabulary when reading' purpose."


"Recommends it for: noobs
Meh, boring for me, never really read it over a skim, bombed all the quizzes--lazy"


"I don't enjoy 'Classics,' unless entertaining. This story is not. I don't know who decides which books belong in the category, and why they force garbage into it, but it's lame, stop doing it.
...
The version I read had pictures and pop outs. It was 25 pages long.
...
The N word doesn't excite me, maybe because I'm a rapper."

No comments:

Post a Comment