Thursday, May 12, 2011

Herman Melville - Moby-Dick III

"It would have been really good... if it wasn't for this whole whale affair."


"The most boring 35 hours of my life!!! The writing was beautiful, and lyrical, so listening to this book on audio was like listening to soothing background music where you don't listen to the lyrics. A big book about nothing."


"Melville really needed an editor."


"Perhaps it was the time in my life-but I just did not enjoy this book. What a shame as I always considered it a classic."


"Ahab and starbucks character were boring and the idea of the book is just ....weird ."


"I actually read the kids version of this book and that's all I needed! ;0 Captain Ahab will and ever be one of the weirdest characters ever written"


"Got sick to death of trying to figure out the symbolism contained in every sentence. Are you kidding me?"


"Here’s the thing. I know you think that Moby Dick is a seminal work of American literature that’s influenced everything that has come after it with a mighty influential power, but, see, it’s actually not. You know why? Because nobody wants to read it. You know why? Because it’s so ungodly boring ... Moby Dick may be a great novel on epic themes (it is, obviously), but that doesn’t make it okay."


"Whaling is not worthy of such extensive literature"


"This book bored me to tears. I read it because it's a classic. I gave it one star because it was written in English, a language I love"


"Every one says this book is a classic and that it's Soo interesting frankly I disagree. It's boring! I mean too much detail I mean there are 50 pages straight about the difference between two whales. Maybe it's because I read it in 6th grade but even back then I had a college reading level. I understood the book but found it boring."


"I know an American classic is supposed to stretch my reading ability but I need a dictionary for every other word when reading for fun, it's not fun.

I only sailed with the crew until chapter 45. I had always thought this was an adventure story but I found it to be a book that did not know which way it wanted to go: is it a biological study of whales, a history of American whaling, or a venue of a person attempting to be Shakespeare.

Sorry, English professors but I don't understand how this is an American classic."


"I got to chapter 45 and could not go any further. The language was too much for me. I thought this was an adventure story; didn't think I would need a dictionary for every other word. I don't understand how this is an American classic. Sorry, English professors."

YES THESE TWO ARE WRITTEN BY THE SAME PERSON, POSTED MINUTES APART FROM TWO DIFFERENT GOODREADS ACCOUNTS WITH THE SAME NAME. NO I HAVE NO IDEA WHY

No comments:

Post a Comment