Saturday, March 19, 2011

Virginia Woolf - Mrs Dalloway

"I just could not handle Virginia Woolf's rambling. She used so many commas, that I started to question whether she even understood the significance of a comma anymore."


"Has any author ever used as many semi-colons as Woolf does in this book? It's a question that plagued me as I slogged through her tedious dreck of a novel; I might have asked others questions; questions like: does she even know what a semi-colon is supposed to do? Does she? Know? What a semi-colon is supposed to do? Mostly she treats them like commas."


"I dont' know why this is a classic, horrible writing, no periods in the whole book, nothing but run on sentences....terrible writing. Didn't like it!"


"The writing was beautiful - complicated and varied sentence structures, amazing descriptions, and carefully chosen words filled this book. But it was just too much."


"The book contained no chapters"


"Sure she's supposedly lyrical and 'la-tee-da'. And this book is supposedly haunting and important. And it no doubt has its place in literature ...er... somewhere. But quite honestly, I'd be more willing to watch paint dry than read it again."


"This has almost no merit except for the fact that Virginia Woolf writes some great words...just about NOTHING! If I want to read some chick's thoughts, I will read Anne Sexton or Sylvia Plath or someone like that. They have great words and they have substance. This book is bullshit, real bullshit about a boring party and her thoughts about it. Oy vay!"

THIS PRESENTS ME WITH A HAPPY OPPORTUNITY TO QUOTE A POSITIVE REVIEW OF A BOOK THAT IS BY NO MEANS GOOD, SYLVIA PLATH'S THE BELL JAR:

"To anyone who suffers from a mental disability, this is a must read"

TRUER WORDS, DEAR READERS


"I do not like it though.I know one thing that I do not want to be in Mrs Dalloway's place.Her life seemed to me very depressing and sometimes I felt unhopeful a lot while reading.She is a character trapped among people and she did it to herself.She seems to me an ordinary woman struggle to be happy as if trying to see shining part of the sun as much as she can do."


"Just for future reference, if you are thinking of reccomending a book to me and it reads anything like Virginia Woolf...don't."

THANK YOU WE'LL ALL BE KEEPING THAT IN MIND


"I may be very criticized for what I'm writing right now, but I didn't think anything extraordinary on this story. That's a mere woman living a boring life whose only interest is arranging her party and, while it's not ready yet, starts to walk alone on the streets trying to figure out what people's main concerns are. Add to it her unsatisfied marriage with a distant husband and you'll see a Mrs. Dolloway who keeps fantasizing things between him and another woman. In summary, that's a compilation of personal thoughts that lead nowhere. It doesn't add value to your life nor to mine."


"I made it to page 25, and I hope to never revisit this tale. In 25 pages a reader should be curious about the MC, curious about the plot, the imagination should be on fire."



I'M SORRY WOOLF, BUT YOU HAVE COMPLETELY FAILED TO AROUSE MY CURIOSITY ABOUT THE MC. ONE STAR

4 comments:

  1. th-th-

    the bell jar isn't that bad of a book :'(

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2219121825&v=wall

    More insightful comments on Woolf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vampires is not at all like in the movies or books. Sure, I understand. You are young you have the whole world open to you. You can be anything that you choose if you apply yourself and try hard to work toward that goal. But being a Vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, But how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the Vampires Lord on his Email: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete