Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Jane Austen - Pride and Prejudice

"Although the writer if this book has a lot of commendations for her books, I did not like this book very much at all. This book was too lovey-dovey for me, and i exceedingly hate romance books.
What I like about this book is that the storyline stays frequent through out the book."


"I don't question Jane Austin's ability to write a novel. She wrote a long piece of literature with scenes, characters and plot."


"(I have been informed that Austen may have been satirical in this opening line. Of course, a first-time reader automatically reads the opening line without considering tone -- tone is deduced by context, and the first sentence has no context whatsoever. So congratulations, Ms. Austen -- if you wrote the first sentence with humor in mind, you have succeeded in making readers take a false statement that you wanted them to read ironically as truth; a reader cannot be expected to find humor or irony in one individual line. Way to know your audience, Jane. Way to know the role of the opening sentence. And this novel is a masterpiece, this first sentence one of the greatest openings ever?)"


"THIS BOOK SUCKED!!! This was basically 90201 in the 1800s, or Buffy the Vampire Slayer after taking away all of Buffy’s powers, turning Spike into a human, getting rid of all of the magic and monsters, and making the show downright boring."


"It was sooooo irritating. While reading the 19 pages I could get through I kept hearing in my head some British lady speaking in that British accent. No matter what. That, plus the fact that Austen used unnecessary words like 'vanity' and 'felicity'(which by the way I couldn't find in the dictionary. I mean, I thought it was just a name) made this book just about impossible to read. I know a lot of people like this book, no, LOVE it, but I will neverrrrr get it. I mean, this book is about marriage. Really? Seriously?"


"Oh, what a terrible time for people to actually live through all of that dramatic nonesense based on detailed and unspoken social rules!"


"This book was outragus when it was published, but noe it's not that shocking, it's needs a modern version.
you should read pride and pregudist and zombies, its excelant!"


"It's like a 17th c. version of Clueless."


"I do wish though that the book was not written in Old English."


"A Man Explains Why Pride & Prejudice Is Not Great Literature!"


"When it comes to Character, Plot, and Theme, she falls considerably flat. The plots are predictable (the twists themselves a bit tepid), the characters two-dimensional at best, and the themes, whatever they be, seem all to have sprung from Jane Austen's own personal longing for an husband (I'm quite sure her plainness was the real reason she never married)."


"What I thought was crazy was the fact that although the character Elizabeth was created to be a untypical woman because of her independent mind, she becomes part of a larger romantic image that promotes the idea that 'not all men can be judged by the first impressions, therefore a jerk has potential to be a wonderful man.' This a real problem right now with many women I have known! They date men who are jerks for many reasons, and the women let themselves believe that 'there's something better inside' whatever macho they're dating."

YES I AM SURE YOU ARE A REALLY NICE GUY AND JANE AUSTEN IS ALONE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR VIRGINITY AT THE AGE OF TWENTY SEVEN


"I SEVERLY question this book as being a 'classic'."


"basically, if it was faster, and mr. darcy looked like Taylor Lautner, id be happy. But it isnt. so...no."


"This is one of my favorite stories of all time, BUT I have to watch the BBC miniseries because the 72 word (yes, I counted) sentences in the drove me insane! I could not concentrate. I guess my brain doesn't work that way!"


"I appreciate this stuff... I really do.... But it's not very good, is it? I like to remind myself that Austen's world was a pretty stable one, and thus her little romantic concerns may have seemed to be of some consequence."

SIR. CAST A DREDGE INTO THE SEWERS OF YOUR MEMORY AND YOU MAY SCRAPE FROM THE SLUDGE THAT REMAINS OF YOUR BOYHOOD EDUCATION SOME TIME-ROTTED REFERENCE TO A MAN NAMED "NAPOLEON BONAPARTE" WHO AS I UNDERSTAND IT HAD SOME SMALL BEARING ON THE SITUATION IN EUROPE AT THE TIME

No comments:

Post a Comment