Friday, April 8, 2011

Chinua Achebe - Things Fall Apart

"I do not think that this book could by any means be thought of as a book worth reading."


"I mean I get the point. Native culture=good. New culture=bad."

I - I DON'T THINK YOU DO


"This book is just a big fail. I read the first couple of chapters and I swear to god to let me finish this somehow in two weeks. The plot was very slow and it appears almost during the middle of the book. I couldn't kept myself from staying put on this book because it was boring. The main character whines about too much things but I will only give him props. for working his way up. Everything about him, ticks me off. He whines so much about being 'weak' while he is weak. He has no right to talk about anything. I don't care that he is a respected man, he can't even do something right. Overall, if I didn't had to read this book, I would be happier."


"An alleged classic of how white man takes over Nigeria in the late 1800's. The low rating is not because I do not believe the story or agree that white man should have taken over Nigeria"


"This book absolutely falls under the category of 'For Nigerians Only' because the writer takes you to a whole new world, a world of its own customs ... for example: there's something mentioned in the book called the holy week which is clearly a sacred time when Nigerians are no longer allowed to fight or argue, but when exactly this week is? every year? every month? and why they do it? is it a part of the culture or of the religion there? these information are important to me! Or why it is so normal to the women of Nigeria to get beaten by their husbands?"


"I really wanted to like this book because my friend Janet liked it. I still like Janet but I don't like this book. In fact, it is only Janet's friendship that keeps me from writing what I really think about it."


"I could not say the names of the characters or the towns. I was frustrated."


"The author tries to introduce us to a culture with likable characters and then watch it be destroyed before our eyes while continuing a vivid story but fails miserably. How miserably you ask? Let me put it this way, Avatar (a movie about a FICTIONAL CULTURE,) did a better job.
Don't get me wrong I love Avatar but I think a book based on actually historic event should do a better job making us care about the characters and evens, no?
Let me lay it out for you. The main character is a war mongering bully who is haunted by the ghost of his father. That's all.
...
I think the author was trying to write a text book on Ibo culture but sent it to the wrong publisher on accident. I am not kidding.
Though this is my opinion, I think anyone who analyzes this book will find both the story and writing style atrocious, here is a segment from the second to last chapter:

'It was open and sandy. Footpaths were open and sandy in the dry season. But when the rains came the bush grew thick on either side and closed in on the path. It was now the dry season.'

If you didn't notice the author says the same thing three time! Granted he uses different wording, but he tells us it's the dry season essentially three times! That is a huge no no in the writing world. I am an aspiring author and when I read this I quite literally wanted to rip that page out of the book and throw it at the wall. That segment right there is the WORST bit of published work I've seen in any book . If you know of something worse please comment on this with what ever is worse.
For me the only consolation in this book is when the white man finally reigns victorious. (Okay, I know that sounds racist but let me explain.)Though the did a horrid job creating the culture the fact that it's real made it real in my mind, plus I begrudgingly admit that the author did offer some small details that helped. Just the thoughts of Mr. Smith as he walked away left me with chills.
So here is my advice to you. Read the last chapter of this book but imagine the character Okonkwo as Jake Sully and Mr. Smith as the army guy from avatar. If you do that, you will receive much more from this book than anyone who's actually read it."


"i had to read this for a class that was about society and how we judge others and history..... not good , it didn't keep my interest at all.. and i dropped the class lol"

LOL INDEED


"Yet another book bashing imperialism and colonialism and white people and European people and humanity and... why do we read this and force our students/children to read this, again? ... Instead, we should know the One with the power to victory: the Creator of the Universe! But that's not allowed in schools, and so I suppose the only things left to force children to read are things like these."


"I really did not enjoy reading this book. I did not like the descriptions because they did not paint a very interesting picture in my mind. I did not like the resolution of the book because I wanted it to end a different way."


"I really hated this book it was very boring and for advice to others, dont read this Book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


"what can i say? i dont think he deserved a nobel peace prize...i dont know... thats just me ;)"

NOT JUST YOU, AS CHINUA ACHEBE NEVER RECEIVED EVEN THE NOBEL PRIZE IN LITERATURE


"i get it. i'm supposed to love it. it's the greek tragedy of african literature. and really, i'm not bothered by the cups made of human skulls or the savage murder of one of the characters. it's the same problem i have with oedipus or agamemnon - hubris! too much stupid hubris making the main character COMPLETELY unlikeable and unsympathetic. and unlike a greek tragedy that at least proffers a chorus to side with, here we get christian missionaries...and that's about it."


"Killing yourself is the most honorable thing to do?"

ALL I'M SAYING IS THAT YOU COULD AT LEAST TAKE IT INTO CONSIDERATION

No comments:

Post a Comment