Monday, June 11, 2012

Ernest Hemingway - A Farewell to Arms II

"I think he left out all the interesting bits."


"Oh, please. Just because it's a classic doesn't automatically make it good. Call me blind or too modern thinking, call me what you will, but how is this even - *tries to think of good word* edifying? Was this the novel that made Hemingway on the road to being a 'literary genius'? I'm honestly curious. Because if it wasn't this book - and I can see why it wouldn't be - then, honestly, just because a guy writes one best seller doesn't make the rest of his work amazing. The man's human, remember? Not everyone an author writes is worth reading.

This goes on the 'thrown across room' part of the 'skimmed or thrown across room' shelf. Sadly, this was only mentally done. I could only mentally throw it across the room, since it's a library book."


"There was no love present in this novel. The man knocks up a hot swedish nurse, deserts the army so he can run away with her, refuses to marry her, and experiences nothing but indifference when both the girl and the baby die."


"His prose style is terrible; that deadpan dumbness is a dreadful American affectation ... A pedestrian novel, don't bother."


"BORING! COUNTERPRODUCTIVE! STALE! I couldn't relate to anything about Europe. Forced myself to finish it but it was like forcing myself to chew and swallow my own cold vomit."


"Couldn't relate to the European setting at all. There was no description with which I could relate to. I was terribly unattached to the entire story. Boring. Counterproductive. Stale."

SO I GUESS THIS GUY REALLY WANTS PEOPLE ON BOTH US AND UK AMAZON TO KNOW HE CAN'T "RELATE" TO ANYTHING TO DO WITH EUROPE, AND ALSO THAT THE BOOK IS SOMEHOW "COUNTERPRODUCTIVE"


"Sorry I read this one. Is he suppose to be a good author?"


"definitely anti-war literature."


"I know you're supposed to like Hemingway because of his literary significance, and while I can appreciate his contribution to the literature genre, he is pretty insufferable."


"I can't enjoy a book in which the main character is glad that his newborn baby dies in the end. Poo on you, Mr. Hemingway."


"to me, reading Hemingway is like eating suicidal pills."


"Maybe it all would have been worth it if in the end the characters had actually learned something, outgrown their selfishness and discovered that life has purpose and meaning beyond drinking and sex."


"if you want a cute love story watch jerry maguire. this book is pathetic."

No comments:

Post a Comment