Monday, April 30, 2012

THE BEST OF APRIL

EURIPIDES - HIPPOLYTUS

"I would highly recommend this if you have a good supply of acid or a high tolerance for WTF."


HAWTHORNE - THE SCARLET LETTER

"I read this book as part of my background reading on the Gothic for my A level exams, and it left me asking two questions when I'd finished, first, how is this even slightly Gothic?"


KHAYYAM/FITZGERALD - THE RUBAIYAT

"I think that I just generally have difficulty enjoying 19th-century translations. I can tell that there is some beautiful stuff going on in here, but for me it is overshadowed by the flowery language of an English gentleman."


LADY MURASAKI - THE TALE OF GENJI

"it gave me headaches from all the words and whatnot. It's like they think i know ALL these stuff."


ARISTOTLE - PHYSICS

"Forget Plato. Forget Aristotle. What about that philosopher know as 'you'?"

"ARISTOTLE WAS AN IDIOT
Aristotelian logic is destroying our world. The world must stop adhering to this old style of logic and begin viewing all things as One if the human race is to survive for any decent length of time.

The way to sidestep around this trap of Aristotle is to see all things as One, with no particular leanings to either end of the pole. Be in the middle. Walk the middle path between the extremes. Observe with a scientific mind all that occurs before you in life."


SHAKESPEARE - A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM

"For all intensive purposes, the commercials for the 1999 movie told me all I needed to know."

"i thought this book was stupid and kinda confusing... its a play and they do a play within a play, um no its just not gonna work out. its a stupid book because there are 3 worlds, none that would ever really be around, and faries are just no longer popular. so if shakesphere was actually a good writer then sure, but this book is just weird."


DICKINSON - POEMS

"It's really a crime...
...how Dickinson is still remembered today. There have been many bad poets in the world's history; Dickinson was about the worst. Buried in smug contempt and suffused with undeserved egotism, Dickinson's poems show not even the most minimal grasp of the English language. How so many people mistake Dickinson's muffled ignorance for thought is beyond me."

No comments:

Post a Comment