Monday, January 9, 2012

Lewis Carroll - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland IV

"Let's teach kids about eating everything in sight (so long as it doesn't have a label with 'poison' on it!), beheading anyone that isn't liked, and trespassing on anybody's territory."


"Alice's journey is definitely influenced by some sort of drug, but because this is a children's novel, the hint is subtle ... Sometimes, I think Lewis Carroll was high when he wrote this."


"The story is timeless, I must admit. And some of the characters are really interesting. However, the dialogue and plot make absolutely no sense at all. And in the end it's all just a dream! Isn't that the worst way to end pretty much any story."


"I think this would make a great book to read to an absurdly minded 6 or 7 year old, as the humor and situations work well as short vignettes. And if my vague grasp on it's history is correct, that's what it was written as.

For an adult, it's not terribly coherent and I had to force myself to finish it."


"It was awful. Not fun, funny, entertaining, or educational.

The book didn't make any sense. The characters were annoying. Alice was a brat. She was rude and obnoxious. She kept interrupting everyone and disagreeing with them, even after promising not to do so. She just got on my nerves.

Perhaps there is some hidden symbolism or message that I had overlooked.

The only good thing about it was that it was short. Therefore I didn't waste too much time on it.

I know that there are others who feel the way that I do. If only they had the courage to speak up..."


"I don't know what Carroll was on when he wrote this but it must have been some good stuff."


"youve got to consider how far back this is. and the knowledge of shrooms back then probably wasnt even known. so if anything hed have to accidentely take shrooms which he probably didnt. if anything there was alot of opium poppy seed plants around were he lived that is some what speculated to be the source of alice in wonderland"


"It didn't have the effect I was hoping for, I just... I didn't get it. And the characters (or the writing?) annoyed me most of the times. I didn't even bother to read the poems. The only characters I liked were the Queen and the Cat, the others were... queer. Too queer for my taste."


"I have wanted to read this book for a long time and must confess that in my opinion..... Lewis Caroll was partaking in serious drugs when writing this drival, which is complete and utter rubbish and nonsense. Highly over rated by most and truly not worth the time to read."

No comments:

Post a Comment