Thursday, July 11, 2013

Virginia Woolf - A Room of One's Own

"The main arguement of the book is that if we all had a room of our own (and a rich person to fund our daily lives) then we'd all be great writers. Thanks Virginia, I'll just find myself a sugar daddy and get right on that."


"does anyone really care boo hoo cry me a river better yet a lake put some stones in your pockets and then walk into it. oh thats right thats exactly what she did.
so was it really worth all the complaining."


"I don't really like feminist writing, it seemed like she was just ranting a lot about random stuff that upset her."


"I don't like feminist apologetics. Typical rubbish."


"it's boring, and i don't understand the flow of the story.

the plot is also confusing."


"She had her own room, so her complaints ring false and annoy the hell out of me."


"Seems didactic. Irrelevant and off today's English majors list, I presume."


"This was the second or third feminist book we had to read in senior year, and I was kind of sick of writing papers on how much I, being a dude, suck."


"Sorry, call me everything that's wrong with men today but I did not like this book. I felt that Virginia Woolf, though justified in the idea that women needed more equality in being accepted to libraries and colleges, is still searching for what will never bring happiness. If we truly abandon everything that makes us male and female for some androgynous ideal that we'll be unhappy, besides being impossible anyhow. There is a great wrong that's been done to women through the ages, they never received acknowledgment for the labor they performed and the societies they created and I agree that almost all the blame lies on men. I find it frustrating that so many people feel the solution lies with 'equality' in some strange universe maybe, where people can somehow change genders at will or where there is no difference between them ... So go ahead Virginia Woolf, yell out whatever injustices you want, I agree with so many of them it makes me sick to think of what men have done against women through the ages, but the idea that by giving up what makes us men and women will make us happy is absurd."


"The book floats between the past and present, fiction and reality and its just flippy floopy. Woolf was crazy"


"the book sort of meandered into such abstract thinking and round about intellectualizing that I felt I was listening to a brainy fluff-head talking to hear herself talk."

No comments:

Post a Comment