Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Shakespeare - Hamlet II

"Two words...

Over. Rated.

Put them together and you've got my feelings on what is supposedly the greatest work of Western Literature."


"Well, for starters, I don't consider this his greatest work. Yes, it is incredible writing and one can not servive in the literary world without knowing this play. However, I hate Hamlet. Not just the play, the man himself. He's so whinny and wishy washy. Everything he does boils down to one thing... He is avoiding avenging his father's death. He is to much of a pansy to just kill his father's killer and just be done with the whole thing.

Am I the only one that wants to slap him during his 'To be or Not to be' speach?"


"Not a fan of ole Willie! Movie version: yes! Reading the book: No!"


"This one is no except for me. It just didn't descripe things like a novel does."


"If Shakespeare were alive today he would be writing soap operas."


"The world would be a prison if everyday dialogues were as lengthy and florid as these in 'Hamlet'."


"It's still just as fun to read as it is to stare at a blank wall for a few hours.

I didn't see the point. I'm just happy the way he taught it wasn't filled with 'symbolism' and other shit. I don't believe in any of that. They wrote the book to entertain, not to hide secret messages."


"I feel asleep, it was so boring!
This book is very boring and doesn't say much for the man who wrote it! Ofcourse Willy is acclaimed as the best writer of all time, but this is only because of British Media hyping the man, after 400 years."


"cheap cop-out ending."


"I'd rather watch Mel Gibson than read Shakespeare anyday"


"I really dont get it.Why is he famous?"


"To be a pussy or not to be a pussy..."


"There is really no point and it's really long."


"This has to be one of the worst plays ever written, Shakespeare or no Shakespeare. While the Bard was the master of English drama, he really slipped up here. The plot makes no sense, the characters motivations are contrived, and the jokes fall flat. I have read this play hundreds of times, seen umpteen productions and films, and am astonished at the plaudits universally accorded to it. The modern English translation by Daniel Nystedt, however, corrects many of these flaws (by eliminating the ghost and such unneccesary characters as Claudius, etc.) and overall is much more worthwhile."


"Some parts were creepy. I was literally creeping out when Hamlet started making out with his mom. Of course I realized that that was hundreds of years ago and maybe back then that was OK. This story provded us with a look at what literature used to be. I think this a good story to read in class."

No comments:

Post a Comment