Saturday, August 20, 2011

Cervantes - Don Quixote II

"For the first 250 pages, this book lives up to its legendary reputation. In addition to the famous scenes (windmills and sheep), there are some genuinely funny scenes I did not know about before actually reading this book (including a level of violence and vomit out of a South Park episode). However, the next 700 pages (including a 400-page 'Book 2' written 6 years later) just beat the same point into the ground and then continue to beat that point (quit behaving like a character from someone else's book) until my patience wore thin. This may be the first example of a comedian faced with the awkwardness of a sequel, and I sincerely hope that 'Hangover: Part II' avoids the same problem where a sequel just feels like a weak copy."


"This book seriously made me want to gouge my eyes out."


"What I liked about this novel is that Cervantes used humorous writing in almost every notable event in the story. It really helps the reader to continue reading through the pages because the reader will certainly not feel the tedious-ity of the novel unlike the other Classics."


"Too long, too old, too much!"


"Too,Borring for me."


"Though I have yet to finish it, I find it to be one of the silliest books I have ever read."


"This is a book about an idiot, and, therefore, one I would have preferred to never have read but was made to."


"Don Quixote probably was a great book during Cervantes' time, but I found it to be slow, boring and uneventful. In my (humble) opinion most modern readers, used to more concise, faster paced books, will not enjoy this one."


"THIS BOOK IS A JOKE."


"I'm sure that that this is a great book. I can accept that for its time it was really something ... Those that hold it in high esteem are either trying to show respect for the mentally ill, haven't read it yet, or lead sheltered lives where this kind of thing might seem interesting. I suggest other books... that are shorter... and that might compel one to read them to conclusion."


"Cervantes may have been a genius, but the rest of us aren't. For his next book I think he should try to write on everyone else's level."

No comments:

Post a Comment